Change font size   Print view
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Favorite Peacock Bass Rods

All topics.
Site Admin
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 10:08 pm
Fabricio introduced me to smaller 5.6 rods six seasons ago and I have been using 5.7 rods ever since. Because they are much lighter than larger rods, they fatigue me much less, are easier to cast, have improved my casting accuracy, and still offer great casting distance. Over the years we lengthened the handles of our 5.6 HMX rods so they became 5.7. In addition we customized them even more with products from Mud Hole. Two years ago Falcon Rods made some custom 5.7 EVA split-grip rods for me that are incredible! :iuru: They are very lightweight, great for working prop baits, and are very comfortable to cast. These rods come with 7 double seated Fuji guides, EVA split grip handles with exposed reel seat, and can handle any size peacock bass without the risk of breaking. I highly recommend them. :clapping: For people that prefer larger rods, the best rod I've used is the 6.3 Falcon Peacock Bass Special. Since I fish with smaller rods, I prefer one piece rods over travel rods. To me it is much more important to have the best rod you can while fishing than to compromise for the sake of traveling ease. Just my personal preferences at this point in time. Things are always evolving and improving. :2up:
Site Admin
PostPosted: June 24th, 2010, 5:33 pm
I also like rods 5'7". Fenwick HMX old model, then, UUUAAAAALLLLLl, it is the best in the world.
They are lighter and do not destroy the arms of the fisherman.
I'm building my own rods. They are even better.
I change originals guides for titanium guides, change real seat for Fuji, and use flex coat special. It is very good. :2up:

Example:

Falcon Tucuna Angler, 5'6", is great. I like it.
I'd like to use the New Bucco 5'6". It seems terrific. :good:
Here no woodpecker. Here is sequoia.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 5:03 am
Nice post! :goods:

My favorite so far is a custom rod a local rodmaker made for me. Blank is Lamiglass IM6 25 lbs, Fuji reelseat, Fuji Inox frames and Alconite inserts. 6'3" lenght. Its the perfect general purpose rod. Fits fine for twiching, walk-the-dog, and crankbaits, but also for jigs. Performance drops a little bit when using proppelers. Jansen (my rodmaker) is doing a top-notch rod for me, using a St. Croix SCV 25 lbs blank, titanium frames, and SiC inserts. Let's see how it will perform, than I tell you!
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 8:15 am
Gustavo :goods:
Please let us know! Did you try that rod out in Amazonas?
Where is Jansen located and do you prefer rods longer or shorter than 6 ft for trophy peacock bass? :uhm:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 2:05 am
The Lamiglass, yes, sure! It's my #1 rod! The S. Croix SCV is not ready yet... I'll try it from Setember 3rd to 11th, during my next tryp to Santa Isabel. Jansen office is in Curitiba, Paraná (e-mail: jairioda@hotmail.com). He does "cleaner" rods, without any kind of cosmetic assessories.

My preference for longer rods (6'2" is the best for me) relies on the fact that its easy to cast, you cast longer, and you work baits with less arms and wrists fatigue. I work propelers baits on a mixed-way, between the cassic side/horizontal movement and the "brazilian" tip-down movement (vertical). I don't know why, but this is the way it works better for me.

Lance wrote:Gustavo :goods:
Please let us know! Did you try that rod out in Amazonas?
Where is Jansen located and do you prefer rods longer or shorter than 6 ft for trophy peacock bass? :uhm:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm
:arrow: Propellers rods:
1- "THE ROD" or better "THE BLANK" Fenwick HMXT 25lb 5.6 with all components changed
2- A blank that I like is the blank who the Sumax use in the Hilux 1 piece 5.6 25lb but I change all components.

:arrow: WTD and twich bait rod:
1- Fenwick HMXT 6.0 20lb with all components changed

:arrow: Jig, minnow:
1- Falcon Cara Peacock 6.3

:beach: :beach: :beach:

Return to General Infomation