Change font size   Print view
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Strategies for giant peacock bass!

All topics.
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Here are some strategies that have been very effective for me for catching trophy peacock bass.
•Concentrate on fishing strategic spots within a lagoon with various top-water and subsurface lures and then move on to other strategic spots instead of spending alot of time fishing non-descript shoreline. Don't spend too much time in a lagoon without any action; move on to another lagoon. Concentrate on deep lagoons instead of shallow ones. For big peacock bass you usually need to insist with repeated casts.
•Typical trophy peacock bass strategic spots:
•Lagoon mouths; especially ones with a nice point, sand bar point, stick point, cutaway behind mouth point.
•All types of points; sand bar, submerged sand bar, submerged tree, stick tree point (molongo), land point, rock point
•Deep water drop-offs, sand bar drop-offs
•Large fallen timber
•Submerged trees and stumps; especially the ones farthest out into the lagoon
•Stream and creek inlets
•Steep banks with undercuts, shoreline cutaways
•Backwater eddies at the downriver end of sandbar points
•Deep water between beach fingers
•Submerged sandbar breeding grounds
•Sand bar points with cabibi plants
•Downriver end of islands with good structure; sandbar, laydowns ( Rio Negro river)
•Large rock boulders in lagoon mouths, rock boulder points in lagoons
•Deep firm land lagoons
•Large deep central lagoons
•Start off with top water prop baits or jumpin minnows with a bucktail jig as a follow up behind the prop lure. Experiment with other top water lures; spooks, poppers, etc to find out what peacock bass are hitting on. For me prop baits with bright pinkish red, orange, yellow, or gold with dark contrast have been very effective. Tuning your prop bait so it makes a nice deep annoying ripping sound and working the bait slower with longer, louder, deeper sounding rips have been very effective for me for catching big peacock bass. I feel big fish are wiser and more pacient, and slower than the teen fish so a slower cadence has been very effective for me. Although it is good to vary the speed of your retrieve as well as using different lure techniques because sometimes a subtile change can make a diference. The jumpin minnow and spook can be worked fast and slow as well as on top and subsurface. Generally when a big peacock bass is after the jumpin minnow, spook, or popper and you dive the lure, the fish swallows it right in.
•Try to fish your best lagoons and locations during the hottest part of the day The best time for peacock bass over twenty pounds for me has come around mid-day to early afternoon. (11 am to 3:30 pm)
•When fishing shoreline structures also cast out into the center of the lagoon; fish more around to foreage. Many times big fish are in the shallows in the morning during cooler temperatures and when the water starts to heat up later on in the day, they move out to cooler water deep spots in the center of the lagoon.
•Always fish as a team; front angler on top water and angler behind fishing a jig, jumpin minnow, or jerkbait casting behind top water lure. It's good for both anglers to throw top water when you want to cover more ground, cover both sides of the lagoon, or when peacock bass are hitting on top water.
•Cast as close as possible to steep drop-off shoreline; many times big peacock bass are cruising right up against deeper shoreline.
•Always cast a jig, minnow, jumpin minnow or even a prop bait close to hooked fish; many times there is a larger, slower partner or competitor below or nearby.
•Cast up into stream or creek inlets and retrieve the lure out of the mouth over the area where moving water hits still water.
•When fishing drop-offs cast the lure into the shallows and retreive the lure over the drop-off. Fan cast drop-offs and backwater eddies; most backwater eddies you really need to insist.
•Always be on the lookout for fryballs on the surface; Cast a jig, prop bait, jumpin minnow, spook, jerkbait over a meter past the fry ball and work your lure right through the fry. If the fry submerge with out a strike, continue with a few casts with a jig/minnow in the immediate area.
•Trolling out of big laggons is always an attractive option. also if the lagoon is really big, you might want to troll around the lagoon to find out where fish are holding and then cast to that area.
• Many times big peacock bass can be found cruising river sandbars in the morning or early evening so it's good to hit these spots.
•If a large peacock bass blows up on a lure and doesn't touch it, insist in that area with a variety of lures. Hit the same spot on the way out. Always keep your bait working after a peacock bass blows up on it. If a peacock bass is trailing your lure sometimes slightly speeding it up is effective.
•Always insist in lagoon mouths that have a nice point or structure. Cast both sides of the point and also the middle of the mouth, especially the point side and cutway behind the point mouth with top water and subsurface lures. Also the area where still water meets running water.
•When targeting points, cast over the submerged area of the point and retrieve the lure past the point. Fan cast the entire area of the point with top water and subsurface lures.
•When fishing large fallen timber, cast close to the shoreline and retrieve the lure as close as possible to the fallen tree.
•For submerged trees and stumps, cast your lure past them and bring the lure as close as possible to the structure.
These are just some techniques that have worked for me.
What are some of the techniques and strategies that have worked for you for catching giant peacock bass? :clapping:
Quais sao as tecnicas que funciona melhor para voce atras de tucunare grande em Amazonas? Pode responder em Ingles ou Portuguese. :clapping:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 7:10 pm
Falar o que??
Você ja deu uma aula Lance!! :graduated: :graduated:
Um verdadeiro guia de como pescar!!
Não sei o que acrescentar!!!
Parabéns!!! :escroto: :escroto: :escroto:
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 7:34 pm
VINI wrote:Falar o que??
Você ja deu uma aula Lance!! :graduated: :graduated:
Um verdadeiro guia de como pescar!!
Não sei o que acrescentar!!!
Parabéns!!! :escroto: :escroto: :escroto:

Muito obrigado Vini! Valeu! :good:

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 5:40 am
:escroto: :escroto: :escroto:

WOW!!!

Peacock Bass fishing PhD!!! I had my own strategy, but after this class, nothing seems relevant!
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 7:39 am
Gustavo Martins wrote::escroto: :escroto: :escroto:

WOW!!!

Peacock Bass fishing PhD!!! I had my own strategy, but after this class, nothing seems relevant!

Muito obrigado Gustavo! Valeu! :2up:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 9:52 am
Oi Mestre lance :graduated: ,voce entrega tudo numa tacada ,devia fazer como nas novelas brasileiras,contar em intermináveis capítulos.
STRATEGIES FOR GIANT PEACOCK BASS:
Vá pescar com a maior pescador de tucunarés açus do mundo,gente fina,pessoa de confiança,grande amigo(LANCE) :clapping: :
-como voces viram acima ,ele conhece tudo do comportamento dos açus;
-ele tem um mapa de todos os rios e lagos do Amazonas;
-ele sabe os rios e lagos onde estão os açus gigantes;
-ele marca encontro, com hora marcada ,geralmente na hora do almoço , com os grandes tucunarés açus;
-ele conhece e ensinou todos os piloteiros com quem voce vai pescar;
-se for pescar com ele(Lance),deixe ele levantar os açus com as iscas de hélices e voce arremessa uma isca de meia água em cima,esta é a melhor estratégia :fiu: . Abraços.
Image TUCUNARÉ AÇU = PAIXÃO Image
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 4:12 pm
Luiz nao sei o que dizer, muito obrigado mas nao me acho um pescador grande somente um pescador comensando de aprender e querendo de aprender de todo mundo e melhorar todo dia. Todo dia eu aprendo alguma coisa pescando para tucunare. Espero que o que eu escrevi ajuda alguem. :good:

Foi otimo pescando com voce tambem! :2up: :2up:
Vamos pescar juntos este ano?
abraco, Lance :bye:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 4:17 pm
You have already said everything!!!
No more techniques, no more strategies!!!
Uma verdadera aula da pesca aos grandes açu!!
Thanks Lance!! Valeu professor!!!
:escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto: :escroto:
Site Admin
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Muito obrigado Paolo. :good:
I have more but I don't have time to write. Hopefully everyone will keep adding to this.
valeu! :bye:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Suas observações foram perfeitas lance, não tenho nem o que dizer...

Não ha mais nada a complementar, pois acho que tudo que você colocou esta correto... :goods:

Parabens, você foi Perfeito.

:2up: :aplauder:
Next

Return to General Infomation